Kolumba
Kolumbastraße 4
D-50667 Köln
tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333

     
1853 Founded by the Christlicher Kunstverein [Christian Art Club] (Baudri brothers) as the »Erzbischöfliches Diözesanmuseum« [Archbishop’s Diocesan Museum]. 1854 First exhibition in the Gürzenich festival hall. 1854–1875 Conservator Franz Bock. 1860 Own building with St. Thomas Chapel (on today’s Roncalliplatz). 1891–1906 Conservator Alexander Schnütgen. 1906-1923 Arnold Steffens chairman of the museum.1923–1965 Wilhelm Neuß, Chairman of the museum board. 1926–1938 Director Jakob Eschweiler. 1943–1945 Destroyed by war, with the collection stored off site. 1947–1969 Director Joseph Hoster. 1954–1971 Rooms at St. Gereon. 1959 Transfer of site to the Cathedral Chapter. 1969–1989 Director Walter Schulten. 1972 Reopened at the old site. 1973 Bernhard Matthäi becomes the first qualified Restorer of the Museum. 1989 Transferred to the official ownership of the Cologne Archdiocese; on initiative of Cardinal Joachim Meisner, new conception and new building project under the management of Joachim M. Plotzek (from 1990), Katharina Winnekes, Stefan Kraus (both 1991) and Ulrike Surmann (1993). End of April 2008 Farewell to Joachim Plotzek and transfer of museum management to Stefan Kraus. 2011 Farewll to Katharina Winnekes. In August 2012 Barbara von Flüe becomes Curator at Kolumba. 2013 Christina Nägler starts in June to take responsibility of the restoration department.

Art museum of the
Archdiocese of Cologne

Current events
Archive
Architecture
Awards
Books
Videos
Guided Tours
History
Information
Reviews
Series
Essays

1990 - 2008
1972 - 1989
1954 – 1971
1940 – 1953
1923 – 1939
1906 – 1922
1852 – 1905
Joachim M. Plotzek
Walter Schulten
Joseph Hoster
Jakob Eschweiler
Wilhelm Neuß
Arnold Steffens
Hermann J. Schmitz
Alexander Schnütgen
Franz Bock
Johann Baudri
Friedrich Baudri
 

 
www.kolumba.de

KOLUMBA :: History

1853 Founded by the Christlicher Kunstverein [Christian Art Club] (Baudri brothers) as the »Erzbischöfliches Diözesanmuseum« [Archbishop’s Diocesan Museum]. 1854 First exhibition in the Gürzenich festival hall. 1854–1875 Conservator Franz Bock. 1860 Own building with St. Thomas Chapel (on today’s Roncalliplatz). 1891–1906 Conservator Alexander Schnütgen. 1906-1923 Arnold Steffens chairman of the museum.1923–1965 Wilhelm Neuß, Chairman of the museum board. 1926–1938 Director Jakob Eschweiler. 1943–1945 Destroyed by war, with the collection stored off site. 1947–1969 Director Joseph Hoster. 1954–1971 Rooms at St. Gereon. 1959 Transfer of site to the Cathedral Chapter. 1969–1989 Director Walter Schulten. 1972 Reopened at the old site. 1973 Bernhard Matthäi becomes the first qualified Restorer of the Museum. 1989 Transferred to the official ownership of the Cologne Archdiocese; on initiative of Cardinal Joachim Meisner, new conception and new building project under the management of Joachim M. Plotzek (from 1990), Katharina Winnekes, Stefan Kraus (both 1991) and Ulrike Surmann (1993). End of April 2008 Farewell to Joachim Plotzek and transfer of museum management to Stefan Kraus. 2011 Farewll to Katharina Winnekes. In August 2012 Barbara von Flüe becomes Curator at Kolumba. 2013 Christina Nägler starts in June to take responsibility of the restoration department.