tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333
7 November 2003 – 6 January 2004
The Golden Reliquary Crosses
Stars for Kolumba – Teil 6
In October 1996, young treasure hunters found several boxes in a forest near Schloß Moritzburg. The Princes Dedo and Gero of Saxony had buried these boxes there in February 1945 in order to hide valuable works of art of the Saxon royal family from the Red Army. Among the main works of art are the two Gothic reliquary crosses from the treasury of the Dominican church St. Catharine’s in Ličge which had been dissolved during the French Revolution.
In 2001 we were able to acquire both crosses with the help of the Renate König Foundation. They have since been thoroughly restored by Peter Bolg and Susanne Conrad. They are currently being shown for the first time before they join the other major works on constant display in the treasury of the new museum.
Art museum of the