tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333
15 September 2013 – 25 August 2014
show cover hide. Shrine
An exhibition on the aesthetics of the invisible
This year’s exhibition is devoted to a theme that is considered as being among the essential characteristics of western art and cultural history, holding its place in the three great, revelation-based religions – Judaism, Christianity, Islam – and also in everyday life. It is about a paradox, since apparently it is only by covering something up that our gaze is directed to what is hidden, making it visible. Via mundane detours, this exhibition shifts our thoughts on an aesthetics of the invisible to the essence of those precious shrines, which flourished as an expression of the Rhineland's veneration for relics. Central to the exhibition is the church treasure from St. Servatius in Siegburg together with the Shrine of St. Anno, one of the most important works of medieval goldsmith artistry. Moreover, this piece marks two anniversaries: for one, there is the 1700 years of the existence of the Cologne Archdiocese, whose first Bishop, Maternus, was mentioned in a document of a synod in Rome in 313; in addition, it commemorates the transport of the remains of the Three Magi from Milan to Cologne as war spoils in 1164 – 850 years ago – by Archbishop Rainald von Dassel. Departing from a principle of dialogue, objects from the Schriefers’ Collection of works and forms have been allotted just as much consideration as works of Classic Modernism and contemporary art. Works by American painter Max Cole constitute an exhibition highlight.
Objects from the 7th to the 21st Century (Painting, Sculpture, Installation, Photography, Video, Textile, Prints, Objects), a.o. by Hermann Abrell, Gerhard Altenbourg, Kurt Benning, Thomas Böing, Gerd Bonfert, Michael Buthe, Max Cole, Rudolf de Crignis, Felix Droese, Gerard Gasiorowski, Raimund Girke, Alexej von Jawlensky, Hans Josephsohn, Christa Näher, Thomas Rentmeister, Paul Thek, Michael Toenges, Frederic Thursz, Gert H. Wollheim
Art museum of the